Monday, November 17, 2008

Changing Course

A while ago I was out bowhunting when I witnessed something I had never seen before. One of the biggest fox squirrels I had ever seen was working his way toward me as he meandered at a steady pace as a "rodent on a mission." I was sitting in a ladder stand on a black walnut tree, to which the squirrel finally jumped onto above my head about twelve feet. Before, I've had gray squirrels hit those walnuts and knock them down to the ground. Yes, I felt like ducking for cover when they came falling to the ground!

This fox squirrel didn't do that. He was only interested in getting across to the other side of field to the red oak tree. As he made his way out on one of the limbs, he got ready to jump by hunkering down, but he didn't proceed. He backed up, jumped up to a higher limb that reached across the field more, and then he jumped with all his might to the old oak. I pondered to myself as to why he decided to change course.

The longer I thought about it, the more I realized that we could learn a lesson from that squirrel. He changed his position before he jumped because it was too far for him to jump. What would happen if more of us human beings contemplated that certain moves wouldn't be the best for us to make? That squirrel knew he might fall if he jumped the first time. Many times I think we don't take into consideration what might happen if we act without thinking. Let's learn from the fox squirrel as I continue to look for little things in nature to teach us lessons.

No comments: