Friday, November 7, 2008

Is It Bird Hunting Season?

I ask this question due to something that happened to me today. Mike Kesler (one of our elders at West 7th) and I were traveling to the VA community living center in Murfreesboro to visit a brother in Christ who just moved into his new home there. Before we arrived at the facility, a truck came squealing out of a gas station in front of us, and he shot the proverbial bird out of the clear blue sky (I'm not talking about dove hunting, either!).

He made a very obscene gesture as he wanted to make sure to get his point across. Not only was he firing one-handed at us, but he was also yelling something as well. Mike and I were totally puzzled at what unfolded in front of our very eyes. Our first reaction was to ask what he was doing. Our next reaction was wondering if it was even targeted at us. I looked back at the gas station to see if there was anybody there, but there was not. What had we done to deserve such flippant and vulgar use of human ammunition?

We were just traveling down the road minding our own business, so I personally think the guy was crazy - a few sandwiches short of a picnic if you ask me! I have no idea why he did what he did. I think if nothing else, it just goes to show you that you never know what you are going to experience each day. I'm really thankful that we could not make out what he was saying, as that probably would have really ruffled our feathers!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Definitely a turn the other cheek moment.

Jeremy T. Butt said...

Talk about shock and awe, Dale! That's one of those moments that catches you totally off guard. Thanks for the comment.

Matthew said...

You got to love the people, especially these people.

Jeremy T. Butt said...

You've got that right, Matthew! Those kinds of moments definitely make for some interesting sermon illustrations, don't they?