Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Hunting Report

This was my fourth time to go hunting this season, and I was bowhunting within the city limits of Columbia, TN. There were three does already out in the field when I got there about 3:45 this afternoon. I watched several more does throughout the evening, as the rain began to fall lightly from the overcast sky. The problem was I couldn't get the does within bow range. My comfortable range is out to about thirty yards, but it wasn't happening.

About ten minutes before dark, I began hearing a deer walking up the bank from the creek behind me. If you can picture my setup, I was dressed in camo sitting in a white plastic chair in the woods about five yards off the edge of a field. When I heard the deer, I knew I was in trouble if the deer came straight toward me; he did! I had simply turned my head around to see what came out, and I watched a small spike appear over the rise. He walked up within three yards of me sitting in this white plastic chair. As he got behind me, I began moving intentionally because I thought I heard another deer in the field. He finally spooked, but he only ran a few steps further.

I don't like shooting young bucks, but as he sat there staring at me, I can't say the thought didn't cross my mind. Nonetheless, I waited until he left before I walked back to my car. It was truly a nice evening to be out there.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is why we get up at 4am. Nothing like it.