Monday, November 10, 2008

"And what about the baby's rights?"

There are some television programs that I do not watch, and Boston Legal is one of them. I'm sure there are some good lines and moments on it, but I also know that it is very obscene at times. While I don't follow the show, I do catch many of their previews while watching certain programs on the tv. This morning I saw a preview for this week's show that provided one of those good moments.

It appears that this week's show deals with a prospective abortion. A young girl comes to the law firm because she can't get an abortion without parental consent. Her mother will not back her in this decision, as she feels it isn't right. In a discussion between lawyers, James Spader's character has a disagreement with William Shatner's character. After being asked about the mother's rights, Shatner's character says "and what about the baby's rights?" Why are more people not asking that question today?

The Bible clearly teaches that an unborn child is still a life, whether certain people in today's society admit it or not. Under the Mosaical Law, anyone who struck a woman causing her to go into premature labor and lose the child was to be executed (Ex. 21:22-25). This was an accidental death. If God felt this way about the accidental death of a child, how do you think He feels about abortions where innocent lives are being taken deliberately?

Even though Shatner's line was acting, I hope that it might cause people to open their eyes and see what they're doing by aborting, I'm sorry, I mean murdering, these babies.

2 comments:

Benjamin D. said...

Jeremy,
I really like your last line, "aborting, I'm sorry, I mean murdering, these babies." Many times it seems the media tries to desensitize Americans by using words like abortion instead of calling it what it really is, murder.

It similar to what homosexuals have tried to do. The book After the Ball was written by homosexuals trying to make the sin ok in the minds of Americans. This book was written some time in the 80's, but many of the things we say about homosexuals today are direct influence from the book. Some of the things mentioned in the book are use the word “gay” instead of homosexual and using phrases like “alternative lifestyle”.

It makes me think that people who are promoting the killing of babies have done the exact thing using “abort” instead of murder. It makes it look a lot nicer. I don’t imagine as many people would support abortion if you said “partial birth murder” or just “a teenage girl murdered today”.

Jeremy T. Butt said...

Thanks BD; your insight and analogies are priceless! I really liked what you said about the desensitization by the media.