Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Google Maps Led Me Astray!

Herb and June Lee, dear friends of mine from Searcy, AR had been so gracious to invite me to stay at their house on Selvidge Lane. I had anticipated rolling into the drive around 10:00 that evening, and I learned that Herb would probably still be awake watching the news. June had given me directions several weeks prior to my trip, but I had misplaced them somewhere amidst my desk clutter. I thought to myself it was no big deal, because all I have to do is look up the directions on Google maps.

About 30 minutes prior to arriving in Searcy, I had received a voice mail from June with a reminder of the directions. I didn't pay much attention to them since I had the directions printed out on paper, so I deleted my voice mail. Heading on to Searcy, all the turns had been correct up until my last turn into Selvidge Lane, which was seeming to evade my eyes. I happened to remember that June had given the directions again on the voice mail, so I tried to locate my deleted messages. Unfortunately, it would not let me retrieve it. After I had gone up and down Main Street several times, I finally had to call Herb and ask for the right directions. I made it in to their house in just a few minutes, but I was wondering why Google maps had Selvidge Lane in the wrong place. As the crow flies, it was only about a mile away. The street was included on the map, but it wasn't named.

I learned a very valuable lesson that night: wrong directions will lead you astray. I had been presented with the right directions, but I wound up following the wrong set. How many times in life have people been offered the proper direction for salvation in God's Word, but yet they choose to follow a different route? Jesus told his disciples in Jn. 14:6 "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me." Peter said "and there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved" (Acts 4:12). If you're planning on going to Heaven, are you going to listen to the directions from the One who resides at that address, or are you going to find a different route? Google maps led me astray when I could have followed the directions of June Lee. Don't let bad directions keep you from the proper route to salvation in Christ Jesus!

No comments: