Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Our boat is faster than yours!

Several years ago, I had the privilege of travelling to Alberta, Canada to bear hunt and fish with my family and some other good friends. One particular day, my brother and I, along with Bob and Rob Simpson, were doing some fishing at one of the lakes in two separate boats. At the start of this particular fishing expedition, it was very apparent that the boat Chris and I were in was much faster than the Simpson's boat.

As Chris and I decided to showboat our speed advantage, we started going around their boat in circles yelling, "our boat is faster than yours!" The Simpsons just smiled and took it at face value, knowing there was nothing they could do to outrun us. We were in a race car, and they were in a 4 cylinder!

As we were really enjoying our bragging rights, just then, it happened: we ran out of gas! Suddenly, the boat that was running circles around the other, was out of commission. We had to swallow our pride and yell "we're out of gas." As much as we hated to do it (mostly because of how we had acted), we had to rely on our friends (if they still were) to bail us out of this embarrassing situation.

To ensure that they got a hand up on us after what we had done, they decided once they caught up to us that they would just wave goodbye to us and motor along the water. I don't know about Chris, but one of my thoughts was, "maybe that wasn't the brightest idea!" Thankfully, the Simpsons circled back around and came to our rescue, towing us back to the shore. Yes, you're right if you guessed that around the campfire that night we got quite a ribbing from everyone.

I wanted to tell this story just for fun. I saw Bob Simpson at my parents' fish fry the other night, and I hadn't thought about this incident in several years. Yes, there are some spiritual applications, but I'll save those for another time. I hope you enjoyed a laugh at my expense. I hope you have a great day!

1 comment:

Warren Baldwin said...

Good story. I don't feel so bad now about running out of gas on I-65 south of Nashville the other day!