Saturday, August 1, 2009

Ever Feel Like You're Being Watched?

So the kids were out of town at my Parents' house in Portland, TN this weekend, and Dianna was working at the hospital on Saturday morning. Finally, this gave me the opportunity to go creek fishing all by myself. This was my time to relax out in the elements, and the place I chose was Fountain Creek at Scribner's Mill.
Let me first say the fishing was terrible today, but that's not why I'm writing this. I was fishing a decent looking hole when I began hearing a faint sound that resembled a distant running chainsaw. As I continued hearing the noise, which was beginning to distract me from fishing, I noticed that the cadence of the sound was not the same cadence as a chainsaw. That's when it hit me that it had to be some kind of wild animal that was upset at my presence.
I was facing east as the sun had just topped the rise over the rock bluff at which I was looking in the direction of this peculiar noise. I decided I would walk toward the bluff to try to get a better glimpse. Continuing to hear the noise as it got a bit louder, I finally caught a glimpse of what I'd been hearing.
I saw a bobcat stick its head over a rock at the top of the rise, and it was evident that he or she did not like me being there. I will take this time to let you know I was only about twenty yards from the bobcat as it was at the top of the bluff and I was standing in the creek below. It finally walked off as it continued to issue that high-pitched whine, similar to what you might hear a house cat vocalize when it's upset.
The next time you go fishing, though there might not be any people around, remember that you're never alone in the great outdoors. Ever feel like you're being watched?

No comments: