Monday, April 5, 2010

Conner's First Turkey Hunt


I told Conner this morning that we would go turkey hunting when I returned from work this afternoon. I decided to swing by my spot before I came home to see if there were any birds out in view, and sure enough there were some gobblers out strutting. I backed my vehicle up and headed to the house. After returning home, I was trying to get everything together and get Conner in his camo.

We were back on the road about ten minutes after four headed for the turkey woods, knowing the turkeys should still be there. After pulling up in the car where I had seen them last, they were still in the same spot, some fifty minutes after I saw them before I came home. I pulled the car back down out of sight, and we proceeded to slip up to a big red oak tree and catch a glimpse of the action.

There were three toms strutting, so I assumed there were some hens nearby. I couldn't see them, so I tried some action on the box call, but I couldn't get a response. I don't know how long we sat there, but it seemed like forever. The hens finally came our way, but they wouldn't come close enough for the gobblers to follow. They got out to about fifty yards behind some brush, and they turned around to follow the hens down the hill. I don't know how many times I had to tell Conner not to move, but those are teachable moments.

It was then I knew we had to go to plan B. That consisted of sneaking through the woods to try and cut them off where I knew they might be roosting. I knew it would be a challenge, especially having Conner with me, but we made our way through the forest, making all kinds of noise. We worked our way up to the rise overlooking the field where I could get a good view and shoot if they came our way. We saw the birds, but I was afraid they had seen us. I just knew we were going to get busted, but we didn't.

The birds eventually worked their way toward us, and they needed to stick their heads through an opening for me to get the best shot at one of the three gobblers. Wouldn't you know the gobblers came up just about to where they needed to be then they turned around. I thought, great, this cannot be happening. Looking through some brush, I knew I might be able to get a shot off if I shifted my gun to the right. It was a shot in the dark, but it just might work. I shifted around, and the turkeys didn't even see me. Let's just say I didn't give Conner time enough to put his fingers in his ears as he was laying just behind me to my left on his stomach. He truly had a "bird's eye view!"

He told me after I shot that it was awesome and I made a great shot. Great encouragement from a four-year old. This is a memory I will never forget. We had our turkey after chasing those birds for two hours and fifteen minutes. 6:45 p.m. was the time to hammer down tonight, and we had our bird. Congratulations, Conner. Patience and careful stalking pays off again, as my Dad, Foster Butt, would say!

No comments: