Thursday, March 4, 2010

I'll Have to See It to Believe It!

You never know what you're going to see living in Maury County, Tennessee. Several years ago before Dianna and I were married, I was over at her house one particular day. She told me she had seen something cross the road in front of her on the way to work one morning. It looked like a deer, but not really. It hopped instead of running. It kind of looked like a kangaroo. I thought she was crazy. I would have to see it to believe it. Interestingly enough, her dad was sitting in the chair and said he hadn't told anybody, but he had seen something like that on the way to work in Nashville one day travelling north on Leipers Creek Road. I personally thought they were both crazy until a few years later, I heard about a deer hunter who had shot a kangaroo nearby. Go figure, huh?

The other day I was travelling north on Highway 31 having just crossed over Rutherford Creek when I looked to the right and saw a helicopter sitting on top of one of the powerline towers. I thought I was seeing things, but glancing again that seems to be what I saw. I avoided going back to see if that's truly what I had seen. I know that's what I saw. Later that evening I told Dianna what I saw. She said she had one word for me: KANGAROO!

There have been many people throughout the ages who have had to see things to believe them. There was a royal official who heard that Jesus was at Cana of Galilee, so he came from Capernaum to ask Him to come heal his sick son. Jesus replies "Unless you see signs and wonders you will not believe" (Jn. 4:48). Many people in life have that mentality. However, we are told that true faith is a blind faith, since we can't physically see what we believe (Heb. 11:1). Then again, the Hebrews writer tells us to fix our eyes on Jesus (Heb. 12:2). How can we do that if we can't physically see Him? John writes "I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God that you may know that you have eternal life" (1 Jn. 5:13).

Thanks be to God that we have the written Word so we can see Jesus. We don't have to go through this life looking for something to believe in, because He's made it known to us. Do you believe?

No comments: