Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Lost Bible


Several years ago I was getting ready to leave the West 7th church building. I momentarily placed my Thompson Chain-Reference Bible on top of my car while I did something with a car seat in the back seat, and then away I drove. At some point that day I realized when I drove off, my Bible was still on top of my car. It was heartbreaking for me because it was my favorite Bible. However, I made the remark to someone that maybe whoever found it when it fell off the top of my car was in more need of it than I was. Is it possible a lost Bible could do more good than one that never disappears?

My good friend Richard Riehn from EEM told a story a while back about a member of the church from Budapest, Hungary named Ivan Martos who was on a train bound for Vienna. As the train neared the Austrian border, an official asked him to unpack his bag. The first item removed from the bag was his personal Bible. The officer became enraged that man in the position of Ivan had a Bible, so he flung it out the window of the moving train. Ivan knew he’d never see his Bible again.

Fast forward two years later. Ivan received a package with a name and return address he didn’t recognize. Inside the package was his Bible and a note of apology. It turns out the letter was from an individual who said some of the kids from their village had found his Bible while they were playing by the railroad tracks. They took it back to the village and one of their grandmothers realized what it was. The people from the village took time to make copies of the Bible, and this took about two years. About thirty of the people obeyed the gospel, baptizing each other. Now they were a secret group of believers who met for worship and followed Jesus. They had found Ivan’s information inside the Bible, so the person writing him mailed it back to him after that lengthy period of time they took to make copies.

Wow! What a story about God’s Word teaching us that there are people out there who are hungry for the Truth. There are people here in Columbia, TN who are hungry, and we need to find them. I’m not suggesting that we need to lose our Bibles, but I am suggesting we need to find the people who need the Truth. The Bible alone is powerful. Remember what Paul said: “I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek” (Rom. 1:16).

Brotherly,

Jeremy T. Butt

No comments: